Whenever I encounter a problem in Microsoft Windows, the first place I turn to is Microsoft’s Knowledge Base – an incredible resource for articles on troubleshooting and correcting problems in Microsoft Windows and other Microsoft programs.
To access the Knowledge Base, take the following steps:
- Fire up Internet Explorer or whichever Web browser you use.
- Go to www.microsoft.com.
- Click the Support link.
- Click Knowledge Base. The Advanced Search page appears.
- Click the Show More Options button.
- Open the On what product do you want to search? list and click the Microsoft product you think is causing the problem.
- Click in the search box near the top of the page and type a description of the problem you’re having. (If you received an error message, type the message exactly as it appeared.
- Click the Search button.
Personally, I prefer using the Microsoft Knowledge Base to troubleshoot problems, but the Support page contains additional tools, including Help & Support Home, Microsoft Update, Windows XP Solution Center, Windows Vista Solution Center, and 2007 Office suites Solution Center. All of these are worth checking out.